Hot and sour cabbage – it’s as good as it sounds. If you’re looking for an exciting way to cook cabbage, then try this hot and sour recipe. It’s incredibly quick and easy to make and perfect for vegetarians. And even vegans!
This recipe works best with the Chinese (napa) cabbage. But if you don’t have access to these, don’t fret! Use an ordinary cabbage, and this recipe still works just fine.
I lived in China for many years, and this is where I discovered this dish. I was inspired to try and make it myself, and I think I got the flavours pretty spot on.
Hot and sour cabbage
- Wok – Use a pot if you don't have a wok
- Chopping board
- 1 Chinese cabbage a normal cabbage works well and so does a combination of both
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 dried chilies cut into smaller pieces, add more if you want it hotter
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese mature vinegar omit if you don't have
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- Heat the wok for about two minutes.
- Add the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, vinegars, chillies and garlic to the wok.
- Add the cabbage and cook until soft.
- Serve with white rice.