When I went searching for a mushroom soup recipe I couldn’t find any without alcohol and cream (I don’t like dairy in soups). Since I didn’t know what the alcohol tasted like, it was hard to think of a replacement ingredient.
I then looked at my mushrooms, grabbed an onion and a leek, and decided to just have a go at it. The result was amazing! Adding a dollop of cream makes the soup deliciously rich and creamy, but it still tastes amazing without it.
Creamy Instant Pot Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Blender (immersion or standing)
- 850 g mushroom I use a variety
- 8 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 cups sliced leeks
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 garlic cloves
- cream optional
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot and make sure it's on high heat. Once it's warm, add the butter, onions, leeks and garlic. Fry until translucent and slightly brown, not burnt. When it starts sticking to the bottom, add a little water and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon. Cancel sauté mode. This should take about five minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, spices and broth. The liquid should completely cover the ingredients. Stir the pot. Press the soup button on the Instant Pot and set it to 10 minutes. The steam-release valve should be set to sealing.
- Allow the pot to naturally release the pressure. If you cannot wait until the pin drops, wait for at least 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup to make it creamy.
- After dishing your soup into a bowl, you can add a dollop of cream to make it extra creamy. But it doesn't need cream to be enjoyed.